-
December 30th, 2004, 01:30 PM
#1
Inactive Member
All I've been listening to is TOP. I have heard from a little like Two Ton Shoe which Dave just smokes with. What are some others worth checking out?
-
December 30th, 2004, 01:49 PM
#2
Inactive Member
The Meters
Any Stax/Volt stuff
-
December 30th, 2004, 01:54 PM
#3
cjbdrm
Guest
old school funk:
Kool and the Gang
Ohio Players
Parliament Funkadelic
James Brown
Anything else may be funky, but it's not funk, if you know what I mean(kinda like fusion).
For newer funkier stuff, check out Galactic.
-
December 30th, 2004, 03:21 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Hi Guys,
I'm so crazy about Earth Wind, and Fire and their incredible horn section !!!
Peace.
-
December 30th, 2004, 03:47 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I saw EWF with Chicago over the summer. It was some pretty good stuff. Their bass player seemed sooo stringed out.
-
December 30th, 2004, 03:49 PM
#6
Inactive Member
That's just Verdine White's style.very hyper
-
December 30th, 2004, 05:41 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Funny EWF comes out.
My brother plays in the horn section of a disco/funk band and gave to my father at Christmas the EWF live CD so he can hear their mentors. So we listen to this CD on last Xmas day. WOW! What a show! Great funky, tight tunes. Sonny Emory grooves like crazy.
And, is Philip Bailey a castrato? Never heard such a high pitched male voice before (check Fantasy).
Also, my bro told us about their experience sharing the bill with EWF in Vegas. They had a great time. He could'nt believe Verdine never misses a beat while continuously jumping around like a madman. Apparantly, he's hyper in life too; running everywhere in the hotel wearing a long white fur coat and talking loudly to his cell phone.
-
December 30th, 2004, 05:50 PM
#8
Inactive Member
I thought the Brecker Bros' first album was pretty funky, in a 70's cop show type-of-way. Graham Central Station had some nice bass playing on there [img]cool.gif[/img]
Maceo Parker is always great [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
-
December 30th, 2004, 07:34 PM
#9
Inactive Member
There's a promo CD I got a few years ago of a NYC 10-piece band called The Groove Collective. It indeed grooves and funks and is a great mix of funk/latin/R&B/soul.
Anybody knows about them?
I also have a good AWB live CD "Person to person" with the great Steve Ferrone.
And there's something I wouldn't recommend: Bootsy Collins (ex-P-Funk bassist) live CD "Keepin' dah funk alive". I thought this would be ultimate funk, but it's just bad sounding selfish crap-crap-crap from beginning to end.
-
December 30th, 2004, 08:01 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Verdine is indeed very loud and very annimated, might even be of the other preference but who knows and who cares.
ran in to him at NAMM a few years ago and he's like jumping up and down talking and giddy.
As to his playing live, I think they are using tracks. kinda like Night Ranger where the keyboard player did allot of left hand bass to fill up where Jack Blades would leave off, no offense to Baldes for he's a killer singer and funk bass player, but i remember seeing them once and he fell to the ground during a song hands to his side but you could hear bass.........AND he plays with a thumb pick so it's very noticable..........
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks